COVID-19 and Pools, Hot Tubs information
Released: March 18th, 2020
COVID-19 and Pools, Hot Tubs
With the outbreak of the coronavirus, we wanted to share with you the latest information available from the CDC as well as some tips regarding Pool & Hot Tub use.
From the CDC:
Can the COVID-19 virus be spread through pools and hot tub?
There’s no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools and hot tubs. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g. with chlorine and bromine) of pools and hot tubs should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.
Pool & Hot Tub Tips:
- Maintain a proper chlorine or bromine residual continuously.
o Pools: 2 – 3 ppm
o Hot Tubs: 3 – 5 ppm
- Use a reliable test kit to ensure proper levels prior to use and as needed to maintain the proper levels continuously
- The water should also be tested and adjusted as needed to maintain a pH of 7.4 – 7.6
- Periodically, a water test should be taken to your Dazzle Pool & Hot Tub Professional for confirmation of your results and accurate testing of other water balance measures
- Pools - operate the pump and filter continuously to ensure adequate filtration, circulation and distribution of chlorine or bromine
- No person should use a pool or hot tub who is feeling sick in any way or displaying symptoms of the flu or COVID-19
- Don’t swallow pool or hot tub water, take frequent bathroom breaks and practice good hygiene (shower prior to entry)
- When using a pool or hot tub, practice safe distancing from other bathers to prevent person to person spread (i.e. respiratory droplets)
- Clean exposed hot tub surfaces regularly with Dazzle Tub Cleanse (with Hydrogen Peroxide)